Universal USB Development Kit for Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7
Standard USB devices are normally supported by class drivers included in the Windows operating system. In many cases, a particular USB device cannot be assigned to a device class because it has to fulfill different requirements, or because implementing the class specification in the device firmware is too time-consuming. This makes a custom USB device driver development necessary; a kernel-mode driver which conforms to the Windows Driver Model (WDM).
The development and debugging process of such a kernel-mode driver is very time-consuming, especially if the driver has to support different Windows versions. For this reason, Thesycon has developed the generic USB device driver USBIO. The USBIO software components can be integrated into a final product with product-specific adaptations (e.g. file names, installation paths, copyright messages). The result is a customized version that can be shipped as part of an end user product.
- USB Support. Complete USB functionality is supported. The driver is optimized for maximum efficiency. The USBIO driver supports USB 3.0, USB 2.0 and USB 1.1. It supports low, full, high speed and super speed mode.
- Operating Systems. The USBIO driver supports all current 32 bit and 64 bit Windows operating systems.
- USB Transfer Types. The USBIO driver supports the USB transfer types Control, Interrupt, Bulk, and Isochronous.
- USB Device Endpoints. The USBIO driver provides an interface to USB endpoints (pipes) that is similar to Win32 file I/O interface.
- Asynchronous Data Transfer. The driver provides full support for asynchronous (overlapped) data transfer operations.
- Plug&Play. The USBIO driver fully supports hot plug and play. It supports Plug&Play notifications for applications.
- Power Management. The driver supports the Windows power management model.
- Applications. The USBIO driver provides an interface to USB devices that can be used by any Windows 32/64 bit applications. Multiple applications can use the USBIO driver at the same time.
- Multiple USB Configurations. The USBIO driver can be used with devices that implement multiple USB configurations. It supports switching between different USB configurations.
- Multiple USB Interfaces. The USBIO driver can be used with devices that implement multiple USB interfaces. In this case a multi-interface driver is required.
- Multiple USB Devices. Multiple USB devices can be controlled by USBIO at the same time.
- Programming Interfaces. The USBIO provides a Windows programming interface for use in C, C++ and Java programs. A high-level programming interface, the USBIO COM interface, is also available.
- Source Code Examples. Several source code examples demonstrate usage of the programming interfaces and show how an application controls a USB device.
Customization of the Driver
- The driver will be delivered fully customized for licensee’s product.
- Customization includes USB VID/PID, file names, text strings, etc.
- Windows 10 version of the driver is signed with Microsoft Attestation signing.
- Windows 7/8 version of the driver is signed with Thesycon’s code signing certificate.
- Driver Customization Kit add-on: The Driver Customization Kit enables licensee to customize the driver by themselves.
Driver Installer add-on
- Supported scenarios: first-time installation, driver update, removal of driver software
- Interactive mode with graphical user interface
- Silent mode without user interface, enables integration into surrounding software installers
- Supports popup-free installation
- The driver is conform with current WHQL and Hardware Lab Kit (HLK) requirements
- To get a WHQL certification WHQL tests must be executed with licensee's device.
- The WHQL certification can be executed by licensee or Thesycon.
- If you are interested in a WHQL certification, please contact Thesycon for a quotation.
x86 (32 bit)
x64 (64 bit)
Windows Embedded 8 Standard
Windows Embedded Standard 7 (WES7)
Windows Embedded Enterprise 7
Windows Embedded POSReady 7
Windows Embedded Server
Windows Server 2012 R2
Windows Server 2012
Windows Home Server 2011
Windows Server 2008 R2
Free Demo, Licensing conditions & Prices
Current version: 3.12
To receive a free demo, prices or license agreement, please fill out the contact form.
The demo version is time-limited but has full functionality. After the device is connected the driver can be used for 4 hours before the driver disables itself and the computer must be rebooted in order to use the demo again. The demo package includes the driver and the documentation.
NOTE: The driver described on this page is *not for use by end users*. It will not help solve any problems you may experience with a consumer device such as a webcam, camcorder, card reader, external sound card, etc. Thesycon’s device drivers are software components intended to be used by hardware or software manufacturers to create end products.
USB Vendor and Product ID
For each USB device model an official USB vendor ID (VID) is required. Vendor IDs must be unique and will be assigned by the USB Implementers Forum (www.usb.org). Registration fees will be charged.
Thesycon owns a USB vendor ID and offers a subset of product IDs (PID) to device vendors. For customers who have licensed USB software from Thesycon this service is free of charge.
Keep up to Date
If you would like to be kept informed of product updates, please subscribe to the Thesycon newsletter.
© 2018 THESYCON